The month of July will be chalk full of shark frenzied fun at the OdySea Aquarium with the launch of their first ever “SOS”- Summer of Sharks. With over forty sharks and thirteen different species living in the Aquarium, guests are invited to marvel at the largest and most diverse collection of sharks in Arizona. To celebrate Shark Week and the magnificent and mysterious shark, the OdySea Aquarium will be offering a variety of special programs, activities, and educational opportunities for guests. Some of the “jaw-some” activities include:
- A new Shark Exhibit featuring 5 different species of sharks, including the White Spotted Bamboo Shark, Arabian Bamboo Shark, Coral Catshark, Zebra Shark, and Epaulette Shark
- A Special Edition: Behind the Scenes Tour All about Sharks will include a 30-minute tour through the top of Shark Waters where guests will get up close and see the sharks from above the water for the price of $9.95 per person (ages 6 and over). On the way, guests will visit the food prep kitchen to learn about what and how sharks eat as well as information about their round-the-clock veterinary care. Tours will be available daily and is limited to 12 people.
- July 19th at 7:00pm: A Sneak-Peak Screening of Discovery Channel’s New Shark Week Episode “African Shark Safari”- the 50 minute episode screening will be accompanied by a discussion and Q&A session led by the Animal Care Time
- A Wednesday Night Lecture & Discussion Series will be offered for the price of $10.00 per person every Wednesday evening from 7pm-9pm. Focusing on shark education and conservation, these Wednesday night lectures and screenings with experts in the Shark Field are guests’ opportunity to learn even more about these amazing creatures while also helping support shark conservation. The lecture and discussion will last approximately 1 hour and then attendees will have time to explore the bottom floor of the Aquarium to see the sharks.
- Shark University featuring feeding techniques, shark species on exhibit, information sessions and more! Guests are encouraged to check the daily schedule for times and locations; free with admission.
- Daily Shark-Related Hands on Activities for Kids led by Marine Biologist and Educator, Jillian Morris from July 11 to July 14.
- Did You Know Shark Q&A Video Series offered all month long on the upper level of the learning cove featuring Shark specialists from the Animal Care Team addressing common and not so common questions about sharks and species at the OdySea Aquarium.
- Sketching the Seas: Shark Edition where children can enjoy the interactive experience of coloring images of sharks on paper and seeing them come to life. Offered throughout the entire month of July in the upper level kids’ corner.
- Limited Edition Shark Trading Cards