Stay Home with Scottsdale
Take a Sunny Trip with Virtual Tours, Recipes and Wellness Tips from the Desert
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (April 7, 2020) – In this time of uncertainty, one thing is certain: dreaming about a future vacation brings a moment of hope and optimism. Scottsdale can hardly wait to welcome travelers with open arms and its trademark warm sunshine once again.
In the meantime, there are many ways to escape to this Sonoran Desert destination from the comfort and safety of home and even hear some good news. From our armchair to yours, stay safe, stay home and get inspired for a getaway in the coming months, because Scottsdale is saving sunshine for everyone.
- Virtually experience Taliesin West, the late Frank Lloyd Wright’s winter home and desert studio, recently named a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Viewers can take a walk through the acclaimed architect’s Sonoran Desert space, including the Garden Room, the Prow and even see intricate elements like light fixtures and furniture designed by Wright himself – all from the armchair.
- Get a taste of the wild, wild west with digital content from Western Spirit: Scottsdale’s Museum of the West. View Western and Native American Art currently on display and read a retrospective on Arizona painter and sculptor, John Coleman, to inspire your next trip to the desert.
- The beat goes on at The Musical Instrument Museum with new #VirtualVisits. In the first installment, learn the rich history and culture of traditional Irish music through new displays and stories told by curator Rich Walter.
FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
- Sit down with the kids and embark on a digital safari with Phoenix Zoo to browse entertaining videos and stunning photos of wild animals, and even brush up on wildlife facts to use at a dinner party or trivia night later – without ever leaving the couch.
- Take a deep dive into the ocean with Arizona Boardwalk through their online adventures, “AQUArantine,” and “Your Oceanic Adventure…From Home,” via OdySea Aquarium’s virtual classrooms. Plus, families can escape the four walls of home for a while with three, live animal webcams.
TIPS FOR A HEALTHY MIND + BODY
- CIVANA Wellness Resort & Spa knows that everyone needs a dose (or two) of peace and tranquility during this time. The CIVANA Life blog offers virtual movement classes, healthy and allergen-friendly recipes, tips for mindful eating and better sleep – and as if that’s not enough, it’s also become the hub for a live stream of the desert’s unbeatable sunsets.
- Those looking to keep their stride while away from the gym can try out a calorie-burning workout routine from Mountain Shadows fitness instructor Cody Weiss.
- Recipe book getting tired? Executive Chef at ZuZu restaurant at the iconic Hotel Valley Ho, Russell LaCasce, has shared the easy-to-follow recipe for his delightful Crispy Pork Shank. Top it off with red and white wine recipes for “Montelucia Sangria” from the Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia.
In times of turmoil, communities and their businesses – big and small – must band together.
- The Arizona Restaurant Association mobilized to support local restaurants in this trying time by launching AZ Takeout Weeks 2020, encouraging residents to order takeout and delivery from their favorite spots.
- SupportScottsdale.com was launched to help keep the community connected to its local businesses and keep them strong – through resources like ideas for supporting stores and restaurants, virtual tours and even tools for networking, loan and job opportunities.
Laura McMurchie, Vice President of Communications
Christina La Porte, Director of Communications
Emily Lawrence, Communications Manager
Megan Sawyer, Communications Coordinator