WHAT’S ON DECK FOR SPRING TRAINING IN 2017
San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies Return to the Sonoran Desert
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (Feb. , 2017) – Batter up! The 2017 Cactus League Spring Training season is here, bringing with it a flurry of baseball activity to Scottsdale’s sunny Sonoran Desert. During the entire month of March, catch the three-time World Series champs San Francisco at Scottsdale Stadium, and the Colorado Rockies and Arizona Diamondbacks at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick. Twelve other Major League Baseball teams have their spring home-fields in Arizona, each within 45 minutes of Scottsdale. Need to see the world champion Cubbies in action? Never fear, Sloan Stadium is just a 15-minute drive from downtown Scottsdale.
PLAYING THE FIELD
The games are a sight to see, but there’s plenty of action off the baseball diamond. Take a trip back to the 1950s on the self-guided Cactus League Legacy Trail and learn all about Scottsdale’s spring training history, or hit the free and family-friendly Spring Training Festival where you can meet some of baseball’s most legendary players. On Thursdays and Saturdays, head to the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts to watch Native Trails, a free, outdoor song and dance series celebrating the Native American cultures of the Southwest. Catching a Giants game sets you up for plenty of post-event fun, too, as Scottsdale Stadium is within walking distance from some of downtown’s best bars, restaurants and nightlife.
MAKING SCOTTSDALE YOUR HOME (BASE)
There are more than 70 hotels and resorts in the Scottsdale area, so finding the perfect stay is an easy play.
- Bespoke Inn, Café & Bicycles is offering 10 percent off your room plus a complimentary brunch for two at Virtu Honest Craft, its onsite James Beard-nominated restaurant.
- Hotel Valley Ho’s Spring Training Package comes with a 10 percent room discount, $10 in hotel bucks per night, two welcome drinks, a special amenity and a $10 room upgrade.
- Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia’s Home Run Package boasts a fourth night free when you stay for three and a $50 dining credit to Centro Lounge.
- Royal Palms Resort and Spa features the Triple Play special with rooms starting at $579 per night and a third night free, and breakfast for two and $50 credits to T. Cook’s and Alvadora Spa.
- The Saguaro hits a Grand Slam with a room, two tickets and field passes to a Giants game, plus daily food and drink credits, a bucket of beer and bottle of house wine.
- Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch’s Scottsdale Experience package has rooms starting at $349 and includes a $50 resort credit and one-time $25 voucher to Luna Spa.
- We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center’s Grand Slam comes with $75 to use at Ahnala Mesquite Room, an iPhone selfie stick, $10 casino free play per stay and a 2 p.m. checkout.
- The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa lets you show your Cactus League game stub for 20 percent off at any one of its onsite restaurants, plus a 15 percent discount at the golf retail shop or on spa treatments.
For more ideas on what to see and do in Scottsdale during spring training, check out our Cactus League Fun in the Sun 2017 Spring Training Guide.
Laura McMurchie, Vice President of Communications
Jennifer Duffy, Director of Communications