Vegan Eats in Scottsdale
Forks up, veggie lovers! A plethora of creative plant-based dishes and meat alternatives means vegan restaurants are cropping up everywhere. And that means that Scottsdale chefs are getting more and more innovative with their menus, offering everything from vegan burritos to pizza.
We’ve compiled a list of our favorite local restaurants, along with a few of their menu highlights. Since most restaurants are savvy enough to offer at least one vegan option today, this list is by no means comprehensive. But these are places where being an herbivore is easy because vegan options are clearly labeled on their menus – so ordering doesn’t require a litany of modifications.
Dilla Libre specializes in Mexican specialties like gourmet quesadillas, tacos, bowls and a wide selection of tequila and mezcal craft cocktails, and nearly every dish on the menu is available in vegan form.
- Vegan Carne Asada Fries: Hand-cut fries topped with Beyond Burger Carne Asada, vegan chile con queso, pico de gallo, shredded vegan cheese and garnished with sriracha and cilantro. Served with guac and vegan ranch.
- Vegan Bean Burro: Pinto beans, Spanish rice, burro sauce, onions, cilantro and vegan cheese.
- Papa Verde Tacos: Potatoes, green chilies, pico de gallo and vegan cotija cheese.
This restaurant’s motto is to “Live Life Without Compromise” and boy, do they deliver! Not only do they have a vegan filter on their website that makes it insanely easy to eat guilt-free, but the chef recommends a specific plant-based protein for each dish. Combine that with cheery décor and the Watermelon Agua Fresca drink – you can’t help but leave feeling happy and refreshed.
- Tostada Salad: Crispy corn tortilla layered with black beans, shredded romaine lettuce roma tomato, diced red onion and tossed with corn salsa and a spicy citrus vinaigrette. Recommended with vegan chick’n and vegan chipotle jack cheese.
- Street Corn en Feugo: Street corn, jalapeño cabbage, cilantro lime rice, avocado, lime and arbol salsa. Recommended with adobo tofu and vegan chipotle jack cheese.
- Guiltless Burrito: Spanish cauliflower rice, black beans, tri-color peppers, jalapeño cabbage and vegan chipotle crema in a flour tortilla. Recommended with vegan picadillo and vegan mozzarella.
While the original pasty (a pastry pie traditionally stuffed with meat) was a far cry from vegan, Cornish Pasty Co. has made a spot for everyone at the table. They offer four different types of vegan pasties, with two offerings rotating daily. You might want to loosen your belt for this one – even though they’re veggie-forward, they are filling!
- Vegan Oggie: Portobello mushrooms, potatoes, rutabaga and onions. Served with a side of ketchup or house sauce.
- Vegan Pot Pie: Portobello mushrooms, carrots, red potatoes, green beans, celery and onion in a vegan rosemary gravy.
- Vegan Guinness Stew: House made steak-style seitan, simmered in a vegan Guinness gravy with red potato, mushrooms, carrot and celery. Layered with vegan cheese, sautéed leeks and cabbage. Served with a side of chive tahini.
Here’s one I bet you didn’t expect to see on the list. But, trust me when I say that Simon’s Hot Dogs does not disappoint. They offer not one, but TWO, vegan options for your hot dog (Tofurky Italian Vegan and California vegan), plus all of their toppings are available as vegan – no matter how unusual they are!
- Colombian Signature Dog: Pineapple, vegan mozzarella cheese, Simon's sauce and crushed potato chips.
- Sonoran Cousin: Refried beans, onions, mustard, Simon's sauce, vegan bacon bites and jalapenos or banana peppers.
- Mushrooms Champinones: Mushrooms and onions in a wine reduction, vegan mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
This comfort-food favorite with five locations in greater Scottsdale area, is known for its live music, affordable prices and killer patios (complete with lawn games). If you go, don’t miss out on their signature cocktails like the Coug Cup (Deep Eddy lemon vodka, Bols elderflower, strawberry puree, lemon, sparkling wine) or the Tiki Do You Love Me (Mt. Gay black barrel rum, passoa, passionfruit, lime, tiki bitters).
- Edamame: Finished in spicy soy garlic, sea salt or sweet sesame sauce.
- Harvest Salad: Cauliflower, golden beets, apples, farro, pecans, dried cherries, kale, spinach, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and fig vinaigrette
- Cauliflower Tacos: Corn tortillas, brussels sprout cabbage, curried cauliflower, avocado, coconut lime dressing and cilantro.
This one made the list not only because their food is delish but because ordering vegan pizza and pasta has never been so easy. The dedicated vegan menu at Picazzo’s has more than 30 options, meaning you aren’t relegated to a small, side menu.
- Housemade Vegan Mama’s MeetBalls: GMO-free, plant-based meet-balls with organic marinara sauce, basil & house-made vegan flatbread. Add sriracha slaw. +1.5
- Vegan Chik’n Picatta: Brown rice penne with marinated and vegan CHIK’N. Sautéed with a vegan lemon-butter caper sauce.
- Vegan BBQ Chik’n Pizza: Traditional BBQ sauce, vegan CHIK’N and vegan mozzarella, topped with chopped green onions and fresh cilantro. Try this with our Chipotle BBQ sauce for a spicy kick!